2013-2014 Concert Season
INSTANT FUN. JUST ADD WINDS.
Single tickets priced from $19-$49. To order tickets, call our box office at 214-428-2263.
THE MUSIC OF DOWNTON ABBEY
Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
What would Lady Mary Crawley listen to at the concert hall? What would Mrs. Hudson sing along with on the radio? The early twentieth century was a golden age for British music, from folk songs to the classical concert hall, and we bring it all to you, from Grainger and Holst to the trenches of World War I. So dress for dinner at Downton and enjoy a unique musical evening with the Dallas Wind Symphony.
- Overture to The Wasps - Ralph Vaughn Williams
- Voice of the Guns - Kenneth Alford
- The Great War Singalong - arr. Bouras including:
- Long Way to Tipperary, Keep the Home Fires Burning and Over There
- Jupiter from The Planets - Gustav Holst
- Molly on the Shore - Percy Grainger
- Second Suite in F for Military Band - Gustav Holst
- Nimrod from The Enigma Variations - Edward Elgar
- Crown Imperial - William Walton featuring Mary Preston on organ
Tuesday, October 8, 2013, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
Boldly go where no band has gone before as the Dallas Wind Symphony explores the frontiers of time and space, Hollywood style! Some of the most exciting music of the past 50 years came from creature features: Alien, Close Encounters, Independence Day and their thrill-a-minute box office brothers. The truth is out there. Uncover it with the Dallas Wind Symphony.
- Also Sprach Zarathustra (from 2001: A Space Odyssey) - Richard Strauss
- "Mars" from The Planets - Gustav Holst
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind - John Williams (Bulla)
- Concerto No. 2 for Trumpet and Band - Fisher Tull
- Independence Day - David Arnold (van Grevenbroek)
- Alien - Jerry Goldsmith (Valta)
- "Adventures on Earth" from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams (Lavender)
TowerArts Concert (Non-subscription)
Sunday, November 10, 2013, 6:00pm - Highland Park United Methodist Church
Bradley Hunter Welch, organ
Returning to the TowerArts Series by popular demand, the finest wind ensemble in the country combines with the color and power of the Dobson organ in a concert that promises to be a fun and thrilling sonic spectacular. Pre-concert Carillon Recital at 5:30 pm.
- Alleluia! Laudamus Te! - Alfred Reed
- Canzon Duodecimi Toni - Giovanni Gabrieli
- Exaltation! - John Gibson
- Intermezzo from Cavaliera Rusticana - Pietro Mascagni
- Polka & Fugue from Schwanda the Bagpiper - Jaromir Weinberger
- Symphony No. 4 - David Maslanka
OSCAR-WINNING WINDS: THE SEQUEL
Tuesday, November 12, 2013, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
From Oklahoma to Oz, pirate ships to prison camps, these Oscar-winning scores have swept us away on adventures we’ll never forget. So click your ruby slippers together and let the Dallas Wind Symphony take you over the rainbow to a world where all the music is solid gold!
- The Wizard of Oz - Arlen-Harburg/arr. Barnes
- Theme from Banner Saga - Austin Wintory
- The Red Violin Chaconne - John Corigliano
- Brian Lewis, violin
- Oklahoma! - Rodgers-Hammerstein/arr. R.R. Bennett-R. Mark Rodgers
- Moon River Fantasy - Henry Mancini/Jerry Bilik
- Colonel Bogey March (The Bridge on the River Kwai) - Kenneth Alford
- Overture to Captain Blood - Erich Korngold
- Solid Men To The Front! - John Philip Sousa (encore)
CHRISTMAS AT THE MEYERSON
Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
Mix one Silent Night, a few Chestnuts Roasting, lots of brass, three sing-along songs, and a partridge in a pear tree. Top them off with one heck of a Sleigh Ride, and you’ve got the Dallas Wind Symphony’s recipe for a great holiday concert. It’s Christmas! At the Meyerson!
- Personent Hodie - Hoggard/arr. Bass
- Fanfare: Joy to the World - Randol Bass
- Carol of the Bells - Leontovich
- Gloria, Mvmt. 1 - John Rutter
- The Very Best Time of the Year - arr. Rutter
- A Feast of Carols - Randol Bass
- Sleigh Ride - Leroy Anderson
- Deck The Halls - arr. Robert Shaw/Alice Parker
- The Night Before Christmas - Randol Bass
- Christmas Sing-along - arr. Lovrien
- Hallelujah Chorus - G.F. Handel
REVENGE OF THE BAND GEEKS
Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
They’re baaaack! And they’re ready to prove that the only thing better than a whole band full of music geeks is TWO bands! The promising young musicians of the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra Wind Symphony join the Dallas Wind Symphony for an inter-generational side-by-side concert to knock your shako off! Don’t miss it!
- Frenzy - Andrew Boysen Jr.
- Mothership - Mason Bates
- Fanfare to La Peri - Paul Dukas
- Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 - Edward Elgar
- Toccata and Fugue in D minor - Bach/trans. Hunsberger
- Niagara Falls - Michael Daugherty
- King Cotton - Sousa (encore)
LOVE SONGS, AMERICAN-STYLE
Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
Start your Valentine celebration early with a night of classic American love songs from Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, and all their romantic contemporaries. If a wailing sax or a crooning bassoon is enough to melt your sweetheart’s chocolate heart, you won’t want to miss this one!
I'M TOO SAXY
Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
There’s no such thing as too much sax, and the Donald Sinta Saxophone Quartet has the hottest sax in town. This dynamic group brings their energy and passion to the Meyerson stage in a concert that will leave you breathless!
- Danzon No. 2 - Arturo Marquez, arr. Oliver Nickel
- Lincolnshire Posy - Percy Grainger
- Concerto Grosso for Saxophone Quartet - William Bolcom
- "Fever" from Lost Vegas - Michael Daugherty
- Pride of the Wolverines - John Philip Sousa (encore)
Tuesday, April 8, 2014, 8:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
Which is more beautiful? The harp? Or the flute? Luckily, you won’t have to choose when the Dallas Wind Symphony’s own Naoko Nakamura and Sarah Frisof join forces in a new concerto for harp and flute written expressly for them. It’s the sublime leading the sublime. Come hear them for yourself!
- Savannah River Holiday Overture - Ron Nelson
- Variations on America - Charles Ives
- Concerto for Harp and Flute - Damian Montano
- The Firebird Suite - Igor Stravinsky
- The Glory of the Yankee Navy - John Philip Sousa (encore)
A STAR-SPANGLED SPECTACULAR!
Friday, July 4, 2014, 1:00pm - Meyerson Symphony Center
From tears to cheers, John Philip Sousa to the Grand Old Flag, the Dallas Wind Symphony covers all your patriotic favorites in a concert that has become a Dallas tradition. So raise the Stars and Stripes, and join us for hot brass, cool clarinets, and all the piccolos you’ve been waiting to hear at the best Independence Day celebration of them all!